Pilot commenced radio production in 1930 at a factory at Park Royal in London. They produced few receivers of any note, most of the production being fairly standard sets without any real innovations either in circuit or cabinet design. They are however well known amongst collectors for two particular radios: namely the "Major Maestro" and "Little Maestro".
Shown first is the Little Maestro from 1945. In fact the name "Little Maestro" was used as a model name for several different Pilot receivers, in both wooden and bakelite cabinets. The "1945 model" bakelite sets usually appear in a brown bakelite cabinet, the example pictured is much less common seen here in a white cabinet. The cabinet is solid white plastic, as opposed to having been sprayed white over a brown cabinet. It operated on either MW or LW, and featured a valve line-up of 6K8G, 6K7G, 6Q7G, 6V6GT, 6X5GT. The receiver cost £14.8.7. As can be seen this set is awaiting restoration, so no internal photograph at the moment. This particular cabinet form was extremely popular, and it was used in kit receivers (Premier Radio being one common "brand") for at least a further decade.
Shown here is the Major Maestro from 1946, which cost £17.17.3. The cabinet first appeared in 1940 as a SW/MW receiver, but production stopped possibly due to war shortages (both of materials and workers). It re-appeared in 1946 again, though this time with a LW band as well as SW and MW. The receiver could operate on either AC or DC mains, and featured a valve line-up of 6K8GT, 6K7G, 6Q7G, 25A6G, 25Z4G.
Continue to Pye
© COPYRIGHT RETAINED ON ALL TEXT AND PICTURES ON THIS SITE.