The history of Philips is linked inextricably to that of Mullard. From a wireless manufacturing point of view Philips was based at Mitcham in the early 1930's. The parent firm of Philips was based in Holland, trading under the same name. Trading agreements and share deals resulted in the situation whereby the same chassis was likely to feature in completely different cabinets marketed under either the Mullard or Philips brand name until the late 1930's at least. (Not unlike Marconi and HMV under EMI in fact). The story of the relationship between Mullard and Philips is too complicated to be related on this page, so those interested are referred to reference books such as "The Setmakers" by Keith Geddes and Gordon Bussey.
So straight to the first set, a 4 valve plus rectifier from 1936. Pictured above is the model 747A from 1937. Although not a "Monoknob" receiver, Bowden cables are still used in the receiver, particularly to operate the tuning capacitor and cursor drives. Bowden cables are also utilised in operating a lever that indicate which waveband the receiver is set to. (seen in picture above far right). The receiver is reasonably hansom in a veneered wooden cabinet. The radio is unusual in its use of two diodes to operate the AVC circuitry of the receiver in order to overcome a form of distortion found in AVC circuits utilising only one diode. The two diodes are actually combined with the output pentode as the PEN4DD valve. The receiver shown is particularly original, and the under-chassis view left shows that not a single capacitor appears ever to have been changed. Valve line-up is FC4, TDD4, VP4B, PEN4DD, 1821, TV4.
Continue to the Philips model 170A
© COPYRIGHT RETAINED ON ALL TEXT AND PICTURES ON THIS SITE.